That night in Toronto

Tuesday, October 2, 2012



I’ve wanted to see The Tragically Hip for years. I got this close to seeing them on Canada Day, but a series of events lead me to spend the day beachside at the family cottage. It just wasn’t meant to be.

Somehow I missed the mention in the Metro, all over Twitter and surely in The Globe and Mail: The Hip were playing intimate pop-up shows at Supermarket (the bar) in Kensignton Market. 3pm, 6pm, 7pm, 9pm for 3 days. I jumped at the opportunity to go to the 7pm show—just enough time to finish up work, eat and get to the venue. E and I rocked up to the door (well, the line at the door) around 6:40, thinking the show, like the previous day would be outside. It wasn’t. After about an hour wait, we made it to the front of the line. 150 initial wrist bands and we got 145 & 146. Lucky.

The 7pm show was cancelled. Postponed. Whatever you want to call it to allow the band to eat dinner. I guess no one initially factored that into their appearance schedule, but no one cared. The fans were die hard. I’m pretty sure they would have waited all night.

Around 9pm they took the stage. Gord appeared with a hat on; the man is always stylish. They played for about 35 minutes, a few new songs and a few old hits. The crowd went wild for Bobcaygeon and My music at work. I was singing along, too. Years and years of hearing these songs played on the radio and by every mediocre singer at bars across the world, I finally heard it live. And you know, it was pretty amazing. 

It doesn't get much more Canadian than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<